Apr 9, 2008

Bummer

Well, after many months of battling ear fluid and one infection after another, Ella's doctor has decided it is time for tubes. Bummer. I was really hoping to avoid this, but now I'm ready to do anything to make her better. I must say, though, working for a brilliant ENT, knowing she'll be doing the surgery is such a blessing and a relief. I have worked for Dr. Krenning for almost five years, and have seen hundreds, probably thousands of kids undergo this procedure....but somehow when it's your kiddo, it feels different. If there is any Doc I would trust my daughter with, it is her. I have absolute confidence in her opinion and in her abilities. I am so lucky to work for a Doctor that I trust that much. It will certainly be a relief not to have to worry ALL of the time about if she has fluid in her ears, if it is affecting her speech development, etc. I did find out though that all of this fluid in her ears could possibly be effecting her balance, which could in turn be part of the reason she isn't walking yet. Don't get me wrong...she's close but she just hasn't turned loose yet. This really doesn't worry me....after all I was a year old before I started walking.....but I want to know that there isn't a specific reason holding her up....I want to know that she is just taking her time because she's not ready...not because she can't. She will have her surgery (such a big word, really, for such a small procedure) on Monday. I figured, the sooner the better. As for now she is on an antibiotic for the double ear infection so hopefully the first dose will kick in soon and will knock the fever and the discomfort for her. It's funny because as a parent, you think you are doing everything to make sure your kids aren't at risk for developing problems like this. Healthy parents, check. Healthy pregnancy, check. Breast-fed baby, check. Non-smoking environment, check. I guess this goes to show you that no matter how much you think you are doing everything right....stuff happens! I think I am rambling now, so I will leave it at that. Just this worried Mommy thinking out loud.
Hope you all have a good day. And good luck to all you Mom's out there that are dealing with this same 'Ear' issue!!

4 comments:

The Peterson family said...

That is great that you have such confidence in your ENT. When Gracie had her tubes put in at 9 months it was so fast. We went home and she ate lunch that afternoon and took a long nap. Ella will do wonderful. They really do work wonders and will help a ton!

As far as the walking... I wouldn't worry about her. Both of my kids were on the late side and I was ready to take Isaac to a physical therapist. They were close to 16 months before they walked. They could stand and cruise etc... so my pediatrician was not worried in the least bit.

Hang in there- before you know it she will be taking that first step soon and you will be following with the camera. :)

I will pray for ya'll Monday because it is still your baby being taken back for "surgery."

Katie said...

I can't even imagine how difficult this decision has been. You are such a great mom! Keep us updated on Miss Ella. I'm sure she will bounce right back - she's a tough cookie just like her mom. :)

Liz said...

What is up with baby's and their ears. Its just crazy that these little ones get so sick. I am sorry that she is having to get tubes, but I think that it will help her so much. Doesnt having a baby remind you that we are not the ones in control? We can try to do everything right, and be prepared for everything, but it isnt up to us. Your sweet little Ella, what a blessing! We will be thinking and praying for little Ella (and you and Tom) on Monday!

April said...

Thanks you guys, for the sweetest words. You have made me feel better already :)