Feb 5, 2008

Poor Baby

What a long 5 days this has been. My baby girl has been so sick. She's been fighting a cough off and on for over five weeks now. She has been to the Dr. numerous times, on several meds and just when we think it's almost gone, it comes back again. The past five days have been a blur of breathing treatments, doc visits, one ER visit including a check for RSV, Strep and Influenza (all of which were negative, praise the Lord) and a chest x-ray, sleepless nights, wheezing, coughing and fever. And tears from both Ella and Mommy. I just want my precious baby girl to be well...it has been quite a winter. We are very anxious for Spring. Our pediatrician assured us that she just keeps catching virus after virus, probably from being at the sitter, and that this is very normal, especially for a baby's first Winter. I was feeling some guilt over all of this, thinking that maybe it was because I had to stop breastfeeding, but then realized after a look at the calender that all of this actually started almost a month prior to when I weaned her. She spiked a fever last night, and I took her to urgent care worried that she had developed pneumonia. I was told the wait would be two hours. Not great, but I was willing to wait. However, after an hour of waiting only 2 people had been called back. I was then told there were still 12 people ahead of us to be seen, and there was one Dr. on duty. What the heck? So we opted to go home, give her some Motrin and another breathing treatment and put her to bed. Needless to say, it was another long night, but we were able to get into our pediatrician first thing this morning. Luckily she hasn't developed pneumonia, but now has a double ear infection and has bronchiolitis (we were told that in the ER). So now 2 weeks of antibiotics, another medication, and continuing of her breathing treatments. I just hate putting all of these medications into her little body, but I know it's what she needs to get well. She is such a well-spirited baby that even when she's sick, she's still the sweetest little thing....she just looks pitiful. She is at home with Daddy today, as I have to work. Hopefully these antibiotics will kick in soon and maybe we'll all get a little sleep tonight. Oh! And today is Ella's 11 month birthday. My big girl. Hopefully she'll be all better for her 1st birthday!

7 comments:

jess said...

Poor little baby. Makes me sad for her to be so sick! And for YOU to be so worried!

Hope everyone is feeling better (emotionally and physically) soon!

Love you guys.

The Peterson family said...

Oh, April. Bless your heart!!! That is so hard having a sick baby and to do the breathing treatments on her this young. We had to do them with Gracie with RSV, but she was 16 mths.

I hope you guys can get some rest soon. It always makes me more emotional when I am tired.

Sending love!

Josh and Liz said...

Poor baby Ella! Elena got really sick her very first week at daycare. Those babies just pass the germs around! I'm so thankful she hasn't been too sick since then. I hope Ella gets better soon. I can't believe she's 11 months old!!! Time goes too fast.

Katie said...

Poor sweet baby. Our thoughts are with you guys - hope she feels better soon!

Liz said...

Oh April! Why do these little ones get so sick? Charlotte hasnt gotten sick yet, and I am so thankful! My nieces have been passing a virus around for a month now. They will have fevers, then seem to get better for a day or two, then they will come back. I dont get it. We need the spring! So sorry that she has been sick. That is so sad. We will be praying for you and her!

erika d. said...

Sweet little girl doesn't deserve to be sick! I'll be thinking about baby Ella this week, hoping she is feeling better. And perhaps this will give her a super immune system and she won't be home from kindergarten when she meets all those new germs!!

The Peterson family said...

How is Ella doing now?? I hope you both have gotten some rest!!!